- Edan "Beauty And The Beat"
- Bloc Party "Silent Alarm"
- can I say Kanye? Half of that shit was good. The other half he should get credited anyway for that George W. Bush line on TV. I bought it entirely on the strength of his appearance on that telethon. Shit, I'd buy Mike Myers album if he dropped one after that skit.
- Blackalicious "The Craft", the production is outstanding, and Gab kills these tracks live. Haters be quiet.
albums I listened to
- my own. too often before it was submitted. Then I never listened to it again.
best songs / singles
- Were there any real singles out this year? I thought we were having a creative leap year.
- honestly, I have to give it up to Madlib for the Madvillain record last year. I don't think anything touched it this year.
- Chief Xcel
best emcees / lyrics
- Gift Of Gab
- Quannum's the biggest label I've gotten to work with so far. I have a lot of respect for them and Definitive Jux.
biggest surprise (music or anything else)
- Elton John marrying a man. He was GAY?!?!?!?!?!
- Pigeon John's live set. dopedopedope.
- Meeting KRS-One and asking him for a shoutout on camera, and watching him break down Apsci's album cover and shower us with props.
biggest disappointment (music or anything else)
- the Bush administration's lack of response to Hurricane Katrina. I know why they dragged their feet for the tsunami, they're self-centered americans for chrissake, but this was just so far beyond negligent. and profoundly pathetic. shameful.
- the Sydney riots. I love Sydney, It's such a new place. But there is a great deal of ignorance & intolerance in the outer suburbs. I'm not used to being in a place where 5,000 white racists go on a drunken rampage and start attacking brown people at will. I hope I never see that again, especially here.
books I read
- "A Million Little Pieces"
movies I saw
Jesus, too many. It's all we do.
websites I visited
- Uh, somebody come up with a portal better than Myspace, please.
foods I ate
- truck stop food
- I made a few mean pots of marinara when I had a kitchen.
things that made me smile
- my nieces & nephews
- Watching my grandfather on video after he passed away: RIP Salvatore LaMotta
things that made me go 'hmmm' (positively pondering)
- that Narnia flick.
things that made me go cringe
- reading haters on message boards. It's a hazing process when you put out your first album. At the end of it you're immune to it. I wound up meeting a few of them on tour and they suddenly were into us. Go figure.
best moment of 2005
- Singing "My Way" at my grandfather's funeral. It was like he was singing thru me, saying goodbye.
worst moment of 2005
- New Orleans. Katrina.
what I'd like to see in 2006
- more good music
- more surprising & exciting music
- more reasons to be inspired.
what I don't want to see in 2006
- intolerance & stupidity.
hip hop in 2006 will be
- something for us to re-invent. and by doing that, we'll be truer to it then ever before.
my new years resolutions
- I dunno, should I keep the double chin?